Experience Treks welcomes travelers to taste the true wild west of Nepal to Upper Dolpo & Shey Gomba, this awesome journey starting with an interesting panoramic flight to Nepal’s south west at Nepalgunj city, just across the border near India, then with another short scenic flight to Jhuphal, from this quaint town beginning this adventurous trek to Upper Dolpo & Shey Gomba travel on pleasant trail to a large town of Dunai; the administrative center of whole Dolpo region. Then heading towards pristine Phokshundo also known as Ringmo Lake & visiting old traditional Tibet like villages with its rich old pre-Buddhist culture and religion, as Dolpo is an extension of Tibetan plateau, you can notice the barren windswept terrain, a complete drastic change in landscapes and vegetations, journey continues to Upper Dolpo and Shey Gomba in complete wild and isolated country, being here it will be an awesome experience, truly out of this world with its fascinating surrounding at Shey Gomba also known as crystal monastery beneath the towering holy crystal mountain.
This awesome journey is passed through isolated traditional farm villages on the old trans-Himalayan trade route between Nepal &Tibet, then walking through enchanting virgin rhododendron and pine forest with rich flora and extensive wildlife around Dolpo area, here is a total chances of seeing some wildlife, blue sheep if lucky the rare elusive Snow Leopard. This adventure to Dolpo is well described in the classic novel “The Snow Leopard” by Peter Mattessian who traveled this routes in search of snow leopards in the early 1980’s, after a wonderful time within Dolpo National Park then completing this fabulous walk crossing few passes through traditional culturally rich villages and enchanting valleys, and then back onto Jhuphal for panoramic flight of Kathmandu via Nepalgunj after an overwhelming adventure with Experience Treks i.e. an excellent guidance of Upper Dolpo & Shey Gomba.
• A fascinating journey to upper Dolpo; the land of well practiced regions of Bon Po religion
• A well managed remote village with its rich old culture, traditions of pre-Buddhist religion
• Walking within natural scenic surrounding in complete wilderness panorama of high snow mountains
• A drastic change in landscapes scenery in and around pristine crystal turquoise Phokshundo Lake extension of Tibetan plateau on to Shey Gomba, beneath Crystal Mountain.
Arrive in Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
Morning sightseeing tour, afternoon flight to Nepalgunj 55 mins flight and transfer to hotel.
Fly to Jhuphal 2,320 m then trek or drive to Dunai 2,850 m.
Trek to Ankhe 2,896 m/06 hrs.
Trek to Sumdu / Sulighat village 3,500 m /06 hrs.
Trek to Phokshundo Lake 3,500 m/05 hours.
Rest the day at Phokshundo Lake for local excursions.
Trek to Phokshundo Khola 3,640 m/05 hrs.
Trek to Phokshundo Bhanjyang-07 hrs.
Trek to Shey Gompa 4,500 m via Kang-La 5,360 m/06 hrs.
Rest the day at Shey Gompa the Crystal Monastery.
Trek to Namduna Gaon 4,800 m via Saldang La 5,200 m.
Trek to Saldang 3,620 m/05 hours.
Trek to Yangze Gompa 4,960 m/05 hrs.
Trek to Sibu 4,560 m/07 hrs.
Trek to Jeng-la phedi 4,900 m/06 hrs.
Trek to Tokyu Gaon 4,200 m via Jeng la 5,090 m/06 hrs.
Trek to Dho Tarap 4,040 m/05 hrs.
Trek to Tarap Khola (Kamekharka) 3,800 m/07 hrs.
Trek to Kharigaon 3,150 m/05 hours.
Trek to Tarakot 2,850 m/05 hrs.
Trek to Dunai–04 hrs then drive to Jhupal-01 hr jeep ride.
Fly to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj and transfer to hotel.
In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour.
Transfer to airport for international departure.
• Airport pick up & drop off by private vehicles
• KTM to Nepalganj and Juphal airfare
• 3 Nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu and a night in Nepalganj
• TIMS & Trek permit fee
• Basic accommodation during the trek
• Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner during trek
• English speaking guide during trek
• Food and salary for staff
• A day sightseeing in Kathmandu with private vehicle and guide
• Insurance for local trekking staffs
Service does not include
• Nepal entry visa fee, Photographs & international flights fare
• Meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara (lunch & dinner)
• Personal nature expanses: telephone calls, cyber bills, bar bills, laundry service, battery recharge bills, hot shower (On trek),washing water, pots of hot drinks, bottle/boiled water, alcoholic and soft drinks
• Essential trekking gears
• Travel & health insurance
• Tipping for all trekking staffs (guide & porter/s)
• An emergencies or rescue evacuation cost/charge (helicopter), if required
• First Aid Kit box/bag
More on Dolpo:
Dolpo, located in the midway between the Tibetan Plateau and the Dhaulagiri Himal range is one of the highest inhabited land of Dolpo. Geographically, a southern extension of Tibet, it lies within the borders of the kingdom of Nepal, since 1984 has been the country’s largest national park and conservation, the park sustains an abundance of wild life including Musk Deer, Himalayan Blue Sheep and the elusive Snow Leopard as well as being home to a fascinating race of Tibetan speaking people. The hardy highlanders of Dolpo are traders, exchanging barley for Tibetan rock salt and they take their yaks onto the Tibetan plateau during the summer for grazing, and the most remote/ least developed district in Nepal. At Ringmo, the highlight of this trip enjoys the beauty of the deep blue water of the Phoksundo lake and the surrounding snow peaks of Kanjibro Himal, visit the isolated village of Ringmo and its monastery. This classic journey continues to the amazing country of Crystal Mountain at Shey Gomba following the ancient trans-Himalayan trade route.
SHEY-PHOKSUNDO NATIONAL PARK
AREA (3,555 sq km)
Shey-Phuksundo National Park is situated in the mountain region of western Nepal covering parts of Dolpo and Mugu Districts. It is the largest national park in the country.
The Park contains luxuriant forests, mainly comprised of blue pine, spruce, cypress, poplar, deodar, fir and birch. The Jugdula River valley consists mostly of Quercus species. The trans-Himalayan area has a near-desert type vegetation of mainly dwarf juniper and caragana shrubs.
The park provides prime habitat for the snow leopard and the blue sheep. Other common animals found in the park are ghoral, Himalayan Thar, serow, leopard, wolf, and jackal, Himalayan black bear, Himalayan weasel, Himalayan mouse hare, yellow-throated marten, languor and rhesus monkeys.
The park is equally rich in many species of birds, such as Impeyan pheasants (danphe), blood pheasant, cheer pheasants, red and yellow billed cough, raven, jungle crow, snow partridge and much others